Friday, September 08, 2006

My community Batan Grande

The terrain is super dry, but surprisingly there is alot of vegatation, kind of reminescent of Taos, New MExico. There is one cement road with a chain of pastel boxy, attached houses on either side. Other then that there is not really a road but houses dispersed randomly around the pueblo. on the outer rim of the town you see crops extending to the horizon, and beyond that mountains. You can walk through the town at 9:00 in the morning and then again at 6:00 at night and you will see the same old folks sitting outside their houses, not haven moved an inch. It is a typical small town, as the people here say, pueblo pequeno, infierno grande. small town, big hell. everybody knows everybody´s business. The good thing is that since it is such a small town, things such as abandoned children in the streets just dont exist. The mother of my house has taken in one child because her father refused to recognize her as his, and the grandmother took in another, for the same reason. In other words children are abandoned, but they are soon absorbed into another families. The odd thing about this is that it is such a small town that you see the real fathers pass by on the sidewalk and pretend not to recognize the children, when the children are just looking at them dead in the eye, whispering among the adopted family or to me, "That is my father. He is a bad man." or "that is the wife of my father, she is a bad women." My back hurts from typing.

1 Comments:

Blogger John H said...

Erin - I'm really glad you wrote this because it gives me a glimpse into your daily life.

I hope you are able to post more!

love-dad

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home