Monday, January 08, 2007

Next entry, I promise I will put pictures. A funny occurance today. I went to visit Jissinia, today, a friend of mine. The house that is attached to hers is where all the drunks hang out. Before I continue this story I need to explain certain customs of Peru. If you drink with drunks, especially if you are a woman, it is looked poorly apon, also if you refuse a drink it is looked poorly apon, especially if you are a foreigner trying to integrate into the community. As you can imagine this contradiction can create many awkrad situations. I know I spelled that word wrong but hitting the delete button really bothers me. I feel like I am regressing. Anyways. So, today I was heading over to my friends house when the drunks called me for a drink. I had to think fast. What do I do. Do I accept it and risk being associated with the drunks, do I say no and risk looking like a complete jerk. I chose to accept it. I went and was sitting with them celebrating a birthay when they were passing the bottle. (In Peru when people drink, everyone shares one glass and we pass the glass around with the bottle.) Anyways the bottle had passed to me three times before I realized how to get out of the situation. I said to the birthday man, Excuse me I need to go my friend is expecting me, we have to go over something for work. They said yeah, yeah, I said bye and left. I then went next door to my friends house and her aunt said that she was not there. The birthday party was staring at me, so I said, please let me in for at least 5 minutes. I explained that I had to enter because I told the party that I had to go because my friend was expecting me, therefore if I just knocked on the door and left it would be obvious that I was lying. She said, yeah, ok, and then we sat on the couch staring at each other for five minutes. I had to get out of there. I asked if she had a back door. She said yeah, and I left through the back door carefully so that nobody would see me. Then I ran to my house. The things I have to do, being a gringa and living in a small pueblo where everybody talks. Like the people here say "pueblo chico, infierno grande" Small town, big hell. That is all folks.

Hasta la vista baby,
Erin

1 Comments:

Blogger John H said...

i'm thinking by the time you come back up to the state, you'll be lucky to be spelling your name correctly..apon??

seriously, great story..good example of cultural differences. Well..parents generally frown on their kids drinking with drunks, but hey..c'est la vie (whoops..that's French).

love ya,kiddo.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home