Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ok.....what a week...here it goes. three things, two bad and one good. I will go in chronological order.
1. BAD-Ok, I have a club in which we raise money to go on trips. It consists of little kids and teenagers. We do activities to raise money, like cooking food and selling it outside of the market at lunch time. Everyone participates. The governing body cooks, and the little kids sell the papas. The food we cook is a mashed potatoe dish with a salse....delicious and very popular. As I mentioned before, the treasurer stole the money and flew to Lima. This made me sad for many reasons. First of all, I feel like he took advantage of little kids, and like most human beings, it makes me sad when little kids are taken advantage of because it is the beginning of the stripping of their innocence. Second of all, I thought that he was my friend. Third of all it shows how desperate the economic situation is, that a good guy, like Burro, would succomb to this low. And lastly, I could shoot myself for trusting a guy named Burro.

2. GOOD- We went on our first trip to the Bosque de Polmac, it is a dry forest with ancient pyramids. It was so much fun. Everyone was climbing the pyramids and we contracted a pick up truck so we were traveling around in the back of a truck, all the kids together, laughing and running around. It is such a great memory.

3. How do I start? One day I was sitting outside on the sidewalk with the neighborhood guys, guys who are part of my field trip project and also my English classes. We were talking, and eating mangos, when this 8 year old kid came up and tried to hit them with a waterballoon, they grabbed him, stripped him of his pants and threw his pants in the tree. The kid was laughing along with the guys, I sat there shocked, and trying to decide what to do, I looked at him, he was laughing, but his eyes were full of embarrasment. All of a sudden a mother came and yelled at them all, and they gave the kid back his pants, and the situation was over. Later his parents came up to me and asked my why I did nothing to help. I have never been so shamed in my life. His parents told me that people on the street, always grab this kid and take his pants off, and sometimes hit him on his bottom, and touch him in places inapropriados. Later, I walked up to the kid and told him that I am sorry I did not help him, and I started crying. I think he feels bad for me, because he has been nice to me eversince. Ironic, right. Later I called a meeting for all the guys that were there when it happened. Of course the guy who did it was not there. I told them that what happened was wrong, and that I was not accusing them because I was there too, and did nothing to help, and that when his pants were stripped his dignity was stripped along with it. In the middle of the talk I started crying again. It was pretty embarrasing. I told them that the kid was really embarrased, and in fact did not even tell his parents. They had to hear from another source, and that when they got a chance I think that it would be really good if they could tell him that they are sorry.After the talk they said to me, Erin I agree with everything you are saying but the person who did it is not even here. I resonded nevertheless, we were there and we did nothing to help, and therefore are guilty as well. One good thing came of it. Hours later, a kid came up to me and said, Erin when can we go and tell him that we are sorry. I told him how about tomorrow at 8:oo. He said ok, I will tell the guys and we will go. I asked if he wanted me to go with him, and he said no, they were going to do it without me. I was happy with this answer. I think it shows a lot of responsability. And here we have it, a moment I will never forgive myself for and I will never repeat.

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Erin,

Don't let that kids' parents make you feel bad. He's their damn son, not yours. Besides, you got all those guys to apologize. That's all you could have done.

Love,
Josh

10:56 AM  
Blogger John H said...

Sometimes it's so damn hard to do the right thing at the right time. I think you redeemed yourself nicely. And you did show courage.

keep the faith and know that you have much much love from up here (o;

5:38 AM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

I read this and it was indicative of all the times I've done the same thing (#3 hit this. Have to say I've never taken money and flown to Lima.)
Some of the lessons of life are so damned hard.
Thanks for sharing and being so candid. You made me think.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home